- Wood is probably the most ancient building material for civic and royal architecture in India Initially, the tribe used the forests to source wood for basic needs like firewood and building shelters. Over a period of time they began to use wood for carving objects and other forms of carpentry.
- Precipitating in the emergence of a community of people skilled in this craft the Badhais. The Badhais then diversified into two groups one making agricultural instruments and other making decorative and totemic.
- Today variety of artifacts are available for interior decoration, i.e. statues, well panels, furniture etc.
- Bastar wooden craft has got “Geographical Indication” No.84 Dated, 12/03/2007 from Registrar of Geographical Indication Chennai, Govt of India, for uniqueness of creation.
- Wood craft is practiced in Bastar, Raipur, Bilaspur and Durg district of the State.
Back To Previous Page | Page last updated: 13-02-2018